Thursday, February 17, 2011

A little project

I had been wanting to do this project for SO long, and I was so happy when I finally just sat down and did it! I thrifted this top for $1.00 on one of the Salvation Army Thrift Store 'Dollar Days'. I loved the color and the feel of the sweatery fabric. I was planning on wearing it 'as is', only to find that it got stained in the wash!!! This is a terrible thing that seems to happen much too much to me, I really need to pay more attention when I do my laundry.
Since there was no way I was going to throw out the top, it just hung around on my sewing desk for weeks, until I got a creative bug one afternoon (also known as the procrastinate school bug) and started restyling the top.
First I cut away the neck, giving it that wide loose neck-- just a touch of Flash Dance never hurt anyone, right? Then I pulled out some scraps of fabric I've had laying around for ages. I love love love all the prints, and was stoked to finally get to use them in a project. The rest is pretty self-explanatory, cut squares and shapes out of the fabric to cover the stain, and I added a few buttons for a crafty, feminine touch. I have a couple stains going down the front of the shirt, which worked out great with the falling leaves. I used a few different stitches on my sewing machine to attach the squares and leaves, but the best one, I think, was the zig-zag stitch. That's all for now, I need to get back to Psychology notes and staring at our February snow out my window.
Peace and grace,


No comments:

Post a Comment